Featured Posts

Intro To Fab | Week 1 | Flash Light

October 25, 2017

Getting Started - Inspiration


I started with deciding what I wanted to achieve with this assignment. I thought of creating a useful flash light; maybe a keychain-sized light, reading light, or night light. However, I figured that I am only comfortable with working with paper, and making useful things with paper is kinda difficult since paper has little structural integrity.


So I decided that I wanted to go for aesthetics.


I googled "interesting lights", and came across few interesting references:






 Image taken from vice.com. Installation by Anila Quayyum Agha.


Agha's installation really hit it home for me, and I wanted to create something similar.


 Initial sketch.


After some sketching, I realized that it would be extremely difficult to cut symmetrical patterns on paper, and I had to have another visual pull so that the light would still be visually interesting. I looked for some paper sculpture samples and settled on the following:






One, I like triangles, and two, this shape is neither boring nor overly complicated.


Now that I have a firm plan, I had to actually make the light.


Raw Materials


I bought some large papers from Blick, and gathered battery, LED, and some wires from my PComp box.


Making the Paper Enclosure


The first step was to draw a template for the enclosure. There is a picture on the etsy page of how the template should be, but I did not have exact dimensions. I was worried that if I arbitrarily drew with wrong dimensions the enclosure would not close properly.



But heck, I went ahead and started anyway. I cut a 5inch tall diamond, made sure it was perfectly symmetrical, and used it to draw a template for the enclosure. I used the back of pen knife to score my wings and joints.




And voila! By some miracle / ungodly intervention the enclosure could close perfectly.


Next, I wanted to cut some patterns onto couple sides of the diamond box, but I made sure I planned which sides to cut and which sides I would attach the circuit on.


I drew a crescent moon using a quarter and cut it. For the other side, I wanted to do some patterns using a different colored paper, but it turned out not visually-pleasing at all so I scraped it and left a big hole on one of the side.



All the ingredients were set and it was time to assemble. I wired a simple battery-switch-resistor-led circuit, and laid them on the template.


 I poked holes so that the switch could sit snugly.


Now, I don't know how to solder so I used copper tape to connect my wires and components. It was (and still is) very flimsy :(


I glued everything shut together, but I left the battery side unglued so that I could tweak the circuit inside if needed.



Final Product




It also projects some kind of silhouette when the environment is super dark. I guess it's more of a lantern / night light rather than a flash light.




Learnings & What I Would Do Differently


  1. Paper is paper, it is flimsy. The battery and the switch are heavy so they really affect the COG of the product.

  2. I should urgently learn how to solder.

  3. The LED could've been of a brighter variety.

  4. The lid could use velcro, so that it can open/close nicely.

  5. The concept was good, but if I know how to laser cut, the pattern and the projection could have been much more intricate and interesting.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Related Posts
Please reload

Generative Music | Latent Space Sequencer

December 13, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Search By Tags

Hafiyyandi | Creative Technologist

New York, New York | hafiyyandi@gmail.com